DETAILS OF THE STAY
Our fishing center is located on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica, which holds no less than 75 IGFA world records!
With an international reputation for the quality and size of its fish, Costa Rica is the ultimate destination for spinning and jigging. Commonly caught species include roosterfish, Cubera snapper, groupers, jacks, yellowfinn tuna, wahoos, amberjacks and other predatory sea fish. All fishing techniques are possible however we prioritize lure fishing.
Peak season is from November to May with great catches also possible in July and August. Whenever you come, our aim is to put you in contact with the biggest fish in as many species as possible. Who knows, the trophy of your life may be waiting! Every season we welcome guides and friends to test all the latest fishing products on the market in terms of lures, rods and reels.
” We take pride in enabling you to discover, practice and master new fishing techniques.”
SEASONS AND TYPES OF FISHING
We recommend that you plan your fishing trips during the dry season which runs from November to the end of May, as it brings blue skies, calm seas and big catches. From June to August, it typically rains at nightfall or for up to two hours a day.
During September and October, heavy tropical rains mean that the fishing center is closed so fishing trips take place on boats.
Casting with lures such as poppers and stick baits is the fishing method of choice for jack fish, rooster fish, cubera snapper and yellowfin tuna. Spanyid lures ranging from 35g to 95g are excellent for catching tuna, bonito, jacks etc.
Jigging and vertical fishing are very productive and have the additional benefit of you never being sure what is on the end of your line! Most of the local species can be caught with this kind of lure.
Offshore trolling looking for sailfishes, marlins, dorados and wahoos. Some of the closest hotspots are less than a 15 minute boat ride from the center, with fishing from depths of 30 to 70 meters and more for the passionate angler.
A great troll for sailfish, yellowfin tuna, wahoo, dorado and marlin is also available. The key trolling corridors are only a 30 minute boat ride from where the boats are moored as the continental break is close to the coast.
Coastal trolling with a down rigger is very effective on almost all predators including robalo, rooster, Cubera snapper, yellowtail and barracuda.
BOATS AND GUIDES
We have at our disposal two 8m fast open hulls with Suzuki 90hp and 140hp 4-stroke engines (with a reserve engine just in case) equipped with a cover, a color fish finder with GPS contour mapping, VHF radios, live bait tanks as well as all the safety equipment necessary. This enables us to move quickly and safely between the different fishing spots.
Top-of-the-range fishing equipment is available for hire as well as lures adapted to each technique.
We will charge for any broken or lost equipment.
FOOD AND ACCOMMODATION
The SAMARA PACIFIC LODGE hotel has 14 rooms located near the swimming pool and is an ideal place to relax and enjoy the peace and tranquility of nature. Immersed in lush vegetation, you will enjoy a breathtaking view of the Guanacaste forests.
Upgraded accommodation is available upon request. Contact us if you would like a detailed quote.
A typical trip, 6 days of fishing and 8 nights, takes place as follows :
- DAY 1: Arrival at SAN JOSE airport. Welcome at the airport by our driver and transfer by air-conditioned vehicle to Samara (3h30 drive). Overnight at the hotel in Samara.
- DAY 2: Rest, relaxation and visit of the local village. Overnight at the hotel in Samara.
- DAY 3 à 8: Six days of boat fishing with guides with 1, 2, 3 or 4 fishermen per boat. Overnight stay for six nights at the hotel in Samara.
- DAY 9: Departure from the hotel early in the morning to SAN JOSE. Then, flight San Jose / Paris which arrives the following morning.
Activities for guests/ accompanying persons, focused on “nature”
Horse rides for beginners or experienced riders alike are available, ranging from 2 hour trips to day-long adventures, enabling the discovery of the forest, beaches and mountains for prices ranging from $30 to $50 per person.
This is a unique way for any level of horse rider to intimately experience the beauty of the region.
We also offer kayaking trips to experience the mangrove wildlife (3 hours, $50 for 3 people).
Furthermore, it is possible to discover the coast on a Gyroscope for $200 per person, discover the forest from new perspectives on a suspended walkway in the forest canopy from which you can observe a multitude of animals ($50/person) or discover the ocean, either by scuba diving or simply snorkeling.
Additionally, you will find two excellent massage centers at your disposable at very reasonable prices (ex: 1 hour for $30).
There is also the possibility to visit the Arenal Volcano, the Monteverde National Park or Rio Celeste- the local national parks.
(6 days of fishing / 8 nights with accommodation in a double room)
These prices include:
- Welcome at SAN JOSE airport,
- Transport to and from the hotel in Samara via private, air-conditioned minibus,
- Accommodation (with breakfasts included) in a double room for 8 nights at the Samara Pacific Lodge,
- Hotels/Boats/Hotel transfers,
- The provision of a 26-foot boat and crew for 6 days of coastal fishing, each holding either 2, 3 or 4 fishermen,
- The services of a fishing guide for 6 days,
- Snacks and drinks on the fishing boats,
- Trawling fishing equipment.
Theses prices do not include:
- Flights between San Jose and Paris (start at 700€)
- Excess baggage costs,
- Possible additional touristic excursions,
- Personal expenses and tips for guides,
- Costa Rica exit tax (US$30 per person)
- Drinks and dinners, (dinners are to be taken at the hotel OR In local restaurants: costs range between $8 and $15 per dinner/person),
- The fishing license (to be paid on site for 25 €)
- Any “cancellation, accident, assistance and repatriation” insurance,
- Rental of vertical and casting fishing equipment (150 € per fisherman per week)
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF SALE
- Booking : a booking is only considered confirmed upon payment of a deposit of 50% of the price of the trip. The balance of 50% should be paid in its entirety 90 days before the date of departure.
- Cancellation : any cancellation more than 90 days before departure will result in the withholding of the deposit. Within 90 days of the date of departure, no refund will be granted. The passenger can take additional cancellation insurance (please consult us).
- Insurance : Repatriation assistance, cancellation fees, luggage, interruption of stay and civil liability cover can be offered. Please contact us for these insurances.
- Prices: our rates have been established for the 2020 fishing season.